Tel: +30 23510 82300
Holy Monastery of Agios Dionysios in Olympus it is perhaps the most important Monastery in the prefecture of Pieria and subject to the Holy Metropolis of Kitros, Katerini and Πλαταμώνος. Is mount Olympus at an altitude of 900 metres. in a place naturally fortified between two streams and is 18 km from Litochoro.
The Old Monastery it was founded in the 16th century by Saint Dionysios in Olympus and in the years of Turkish rule took note of the economic and cultural heyday. After 1821 it was occupied by the Turkish army, was set on fire and looted. In 1943, was blown up by the Nazis because the buildings they were hiding Greek rebels. Since then, it was transferred to the Glebe, near Litochoro. Until 1928, the Monastery was the patriarchal Stavropegic, Patriarchal under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical throne. 1928 sanctioned in New Countries.
Today is developing the spiritual and charitable activity, with full-day confessions and spiritual teachings every Sunday morning after the end of the Divine liturgy, as well as dialogues, conferences and all-night vigils. Celebrate on the 23rd of January, which is also the day of memory of St. Dionysius. Also, on September 14, feast of the local feast of the Cross, in the Old Monastery of St. Dionysius.
The church of Kontariotissa it is the oldest byzantine monument of Pieria. The rare architectural type and limited decoration to the date at the beginning of the 11th century.
It is a church of a transitional type with a dome and an ambulatory. Saves a rare iconographic programme with Christ Pantocrator in the dome, and the Assumption of the Virgin mary over the τρίβηλο (5th or 6th century). It is interesting the building of the material that was transferred from the neighboring Dion.
H The Holy Trinity located on the way to the Holy Daughter, at a distance of about 4 km. from Vrontou and at an altitude of 500m. Built on a rock on a steep slope, the Monastery of the Holy Trinity was built in the 14th century. Today is a chapel, which attracts many visitors, who are impressed by the views to the steep mountain peaks of Olympus.
The Agios Nikolaos it has been designated a listed monument. It is a stone-built church with a wood-carved iconostasis and bell and is located in the deserted village of Old Vrontou. It was built around 1700 and renovated in 1879.
The Saint Daughter it is a shrine dedicated to an unknown daughter, which κετέφυγε there to escape from the Turks. Located at a distance of 5 km from the village. A trail of 173 steps descends in one of the most impressive gorges of mount Olympus. The chapel is committed often religious ceremonies, next to the source, during the delivery, miraculous holy water.